The Irish Post has an exciting opportunity for an ambitious Sports Editor looking to head up the Sports Department at a national newspaper.
We are a dynamic and fast-growing multi-media organisation that publishes the biggest-selling newspaper to the Irish in Britain.
We are looking for a senior journalist and editor with a passion for sport to join the team at our London offices where you will produce engaging and lively content for our print and digital platforms.
Working with an established team of sports writers and columnists you will plan, write and edit news stories, match reports, features and comment pieces – delivering a weekly schedule to deadline.
You will also contribute on a daily basis to the sports section of our website, http://http://irishpost.co.uk
Based in Central London this is a permanent full-time post that includes managing our busy sports desk to include coverage at weekends where the focus is around attending live events and matches.
The successful candidate will be an experienced and qualified sports journalist with a proven track record of building contacts and exclusive stories.
Knowledge of the GAA is essential.
You will have…
• A strong sport journalistic background, with excellent writing and editorial skills
• A journalism or media qualification or relevant experience
• The ability to generate original news and feature ideas which will engage and be relevant to our readership
• The ability to layout eye-catching pages, edit content and write about a variety of sports including hurling, football, soccer, racing, rugby and more
• Excellent editorial judgment and professional standards
• Fast and accurate copy writing skills with a flair for editing and headline writing
• Excellent time management and organisational skills
• The ability to work with a team and adapt to new challenges
You will need…
• An understanding of the need to work flexible hours as required
• An Irish background or knowledge of Irish affairs would be beneficial but not essential
Closing date for completed applications is Friday, November 28, 2014. Interviews will be held the first week of December.
The position starts in early January.
This is a senior position that will appeal to established sports journalists and editors only.
Competitive salary and excellent rewards for the right person.
Please email a cover letter with your CV to [email protected]://http://irishpost.co.uk with ‘Sports Editor’ in the subject line.